The Wildlife and Environmental Society of Malawi (WESM) was formed in 1947 as the Nyasaland Fauna Preservation Society. When Malawi gained independence the name was changed to the National Fauna Preservation Society. In line with the broadening of conservation perspectives worldwide, the name was again changed in 1989 to the Wildlife Society of Malawi and then in 2001 to the Wildlife and Environmental Society of Malawi.
We have nine branches nationwide, with our headquarters in Limbe since 1992 which carries out donor funded environmental projects and assists with the co-ordination of our expanding Society.
* Balaka * Lilongwe *Mzuzu
*Blantyre *Monkey Bay *Nkhata Bay
*Dwanga * Mulanje * Zomba
The Branches are largely autonomous and choose their own focus of environmental and wildlife projects and activities but all are engaged in Environmental Education with around 1000 Wildlife Clubs mainly schools affiliated to the Society which the Branches try to support and encourage.